Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Day In The Life Of.....

My days are very long at the moment.

Given that I am coming into the final two weeks before the first event, I have had to step up the training regime. Call me a little bit crazy, but I have based my training over the next two weeks on a training system that the National Interagency Fire Center has designed for its firefighters who have been sitting out the winter season and are just about ready to get back into fire season. It sets out the following core aims:

(1) cardiovascular development;
(2) muscle strength
(3) muscle endurance
(4) flexibility
(5) rest.

I then did a bit of research on triathlon training and am trying to incorporate the training required for that into the NIFC plan.

In short, i am training two times a day.

For example, yesterday involved interval training (running on treadmill at high speed intervals, three mins apart) and then a 10km cycle as quickly as possible.

Today, it was a run to the pool, series of swim drills over a 1000m distance, and then a quick run back to work. I then had a 1.5 hour session at the gym doing upper body weights.

Tomorrow is a scheduled "light load" day which is a relief.

I am having to eat a massive amount of food - veggies, fruits, protein shakes, more veggies, wholegrain breads and the odd glucose jelly bean for quick energy source. If I am not careful, I will empty the shelves of the local supermarket!!

The only problem at the moment is that when it comes time to sleep at night, i cant sleep. My body is still running at its fast pace and i am finding it hard to settle. This isnt very helpful when you are so exhausted by the end of the day and you have a huge amount of training to do the following day.

Anyway, this is my life.

All so that I can achieve one very straightforward goal - to enter and finish my first triathlon.

K

2 comments:

Pat said...

You know I'm cheering for you Kate. And you'll be proud of me too! PJ and I have started going to the local rec center - one that would take him at 12 years old! I'm going so he'll learn the right way to work the weight machines, learn how to do aerobics in conjunction with weights (not just weights), combine it all with healthier eating choices - made more often (we never say diet in our family - it is forbidden!). We go 3x weekly, for now. In addition, I have been walking (briskly) 5 miles at work EACH day with a coworker -- and those miles include stair climbing. All at the ripe old age of 55 (or very soon) and with bad joints to boot! So you go girl. I KNOW you can do this!

Anonymous said...

EC, I am SOOOOO proud of you and PJ. It is so so so so (emphasis the "so") important for PJ to learn how exercise and eating property can play such a big role in his life. It will, at his age, boost his self esteem, his general outlook on life, and it is a SUPER way of spending time with his mum.

I wont go into detail about how good for you this will be because you already know that.

I am really happy to hear that you are taking positive steps towards looking after your son's best interests.

Well done!

k