Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Confessions of a Beginner Athlete

[Pic courtesy of http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/14/tough_love_narrowweb__300x421,0.jpg]

I am scared. It is true. Three people in as many days have said "you know, i'd do triathlons, but it is the running bit that is what stops me from doing it." I too shared these same sentiments. Over the past couple of years and as late as 2 months ago i had adopted the attitude of "cant run, never will." I am not the best of runners, in fact, I can barely make it down to my local cafe and back in a slight jog without feeling like my chest is about to explode.

So what the heck am I doing?

I believe that my fear of running, like everyone elses, is borne not from their body's inability to do it but their mind. Yes, I fear that I will struggle through the Kathmandu Series' run legs, and yes, I fear that i may cough up a lung half way through the run leg of the triathlon in 4 weeks time.... however, its all psychological.

I can swim for miles without drowning, I can cycle 25-30km in an hour, so what is it that stops me from running? It isn't a physical issue because i have been checked out my a doctor. I am fit as a fiddle, no blood pressure problems, no joint issues, no back problems, no knee injuries, no blocked left ventricle in my heart.... It is a mental issue because when i think of running, i think "DISCOMFORT" and "PAIN".

"Discomfort" and "pain" doesn't equal "can't do it." It equals "i would prefer not to do it."

So, I would prefer not to run. I would prefer not to run because it causes me pain and discomfort. This is my fear. However, when you know you are physically able to do it, and you know that doing a triathlon has always been a lifetime goal, its enough to put those fears of pain and discomfort aside for nothing more than 20 - 30 mins of running.

That is all. 20 - 30 mins. Out of 24 hours in that particular day, i will only be in pain and discomfort for 20 - 30 mins.

Doesnt seem so scary now, does it?

No comments: