Monday, January 12, 2009

Can This Be Sustained?

For the last two weeks, everything has centered around preparing myself for the event this Saturday and the forthcoming triathlon. I don't need to do it and I don't have to do it. I could either not attend the events or go to them and just try really hard on the day like I used to do when i used to do this kind of mad training years ago.

However, this time around, I wanted it to be different. I wanted to use this last fortnight to really test myself - both physically and mentally. I wanted to put myself into the shoes of someone who lives this existence every day of their lives.

Realistically, I could not sustain this level of training and hold a job down like mine. I was able to do this and hold down the job only because it was over New Years, where work wasn't so busy.

So this is the way I am living my life.

________________________________

Physical Training

Sunday - Kayaking 1.5 hours (morning);
Monday - Running Interval Training (morning); Bike Race Distance 12km (evening);
Tuesday - Swimming Drills (lunch); Gym Session Upper Body (evening);
Wednesday - Yoga (lunch); Running 2.5km (evening);
Thursday - Rest Day (Stretch);
Friday - Swimming Drills (lunch); Rest (evening);
Saturday - Half Distance Bike/Run (morning); Gym Session Upper Body (evening);
Sunday - Long Bike Ride (35km);
Monday - Running 7.5km (evening).

Eating and Drinking Habits

Breakfast
Every day begins with a high protein/low carb breakfast - either muesli with low fat greek yoghurt loaded with fresh fruit, or rye bread with eggs, avocado, tomato and mushrooms (i've got a special order i always put in at the local cafe);

Mid Morning
I try and snack on as much fruit as i can but after such a big breakfast, i find myself not really that hungry. Knowing I have a training session at lunch though, i generally need to fuel-up!

Lunch
After the first training session, I have my protein shake. Theories show that muscles form better, and recover quicker if you have a protein shake in the half hour after the training session. I then go down to my local fish shop and get grilled fish and salad, or i use up the salad ingredients from home.

Mid Afternoon
This is when the cravings strike. And boy do they hit hard. This is when you want to run to the nearest candy machine and raid it of every snack that even so much as has a grain of sugar in it. All your mind can think of is sugar, sugar, sugar. This is the typical slump that everyone gets each day, but mine seems to come at me at the speed of a mack truck down a highway. I generally will grab fruit, but i have been known to sneak the odd handful of sweets (preferably jelly beans or other candy - not chocolate though, dont really like that).

Evening
Having survived the sugar craving, and managed to get through the second training session, I get home and have my second protein shake for the day. I generally dont struggle for energy in the evening sessions, unless i've been totally consumed by the mid-afternoon slump. Dinner generally consists of a whole lot of different vegetables and some meat, or a mixed bean salad.

Night Time
Second sugar craving of the day and this one hits late at night and there is no candy bar machine to be found at home! This is the hardest period of them all. This is when I raid every cupboard in the house, looking for anything and everything possible. Anything to stop the cravings!!! I generally pace the kitchen at around midnight, but often go away empty handed. I deliberately leave my cupboards empty for this reason. Importantly, i make sure i don't go for the loaf of bread or any kind of carb.

Evening
Having survived the sugar craving, and managed to get through the second training session, I get home and have my second protein shake for the day. I generally dont struggle for energy in the evening sessions, unless i've been totally consumed by the mid-afternoon slump. Dinner generally consists of a whole lot of different vegetables and some meat, or a mixed bean salad.

General Rules
No white flour, white bread, white rice or anything that contains complex carbohydrates;
Good carbohydrates are obtained through wholemeal goods, and vegetables;
Eggs are my good source of protein but for every 3 eggs, I take out 2 of the egg yolks (egg contains a high degree of fat);
I do not avoid fat altogether - butter is good in small doses, avocado is the best source of good fat, and soy products are okay if you can handle it.
Strictly one coffee a day (I make it a large strong skim milk cappuccino though - wont let that opportunity go to waste!);
No soft drinks, only water and juice, but not too much juice as it contains a high level of natural sugar.
No alcohol - strictly NO alcohol.

Supplements
6 x omega 3 fish oil
2 x multi vitamin
1 x tumeric
2 x Liver Support Tablets
4 x Glucose Tablets
2 x Protein Shake

________________________________

So this is the way I live my life. Very regimental. Hardly sustainable when you have a high level job and a penchant for lollies and coffee - like me!

But this is all about discipline right now. Nothing more. Nothing less.

1 comment:

Melissa C Morris said...

wow, that's intense! i'd love to hear what kind of results you're getting with all that training.