Friday, June 6, 2008

Rummaging Around...

Today, I was cleaning out my old bedroom at my mum and dad's home and I discovered an old journal of mine, dating back to 2001. Back then, I was at the ripe old age of 21, and I thought I had the world figured out. I thought I had MYSELF worked out at that stage. Interestingly enough, one of the entries was written on 12 September 2001 which (as you may know) was the day that Australia woke up to find out that the planes had been flown into the World Trade Centre. In the space of 24 hours, I realised that I didnt have the world, or myself, figured out at all.

"Its 2.15am on Wednesday morning. Why am I awake? At 11pm, I was woken up by Dad, telling me something that has personally devastated me. I need to document this for history's sake because something that has happened could ultimately affect the way the world works.

America has shut down totally. Massive terrorism has struct, the World Trade Centre is gone. The Pentagon is on fire. Plans are crashing. Borders are shut. Airports have been evacuated. In all honesty, I cannot begin to imagine the amount of people who have just died. I am prbably never going to experience this in my life again. I hope the world doesnt. I cant sleep. I worry. I am distubred. I am scared. I am terrified for my own country. I am terrified for America. I can
only imagine what daybreak will bring... I just cant believe it...."

"... Well daylight has arrived. I feel very empty. I nearly broken down in tears at the service station when I bought the newspaper. I just came into my room just then and cried. I have never felt a feeling like this before. What kind of world do we live in?"

Newspaper stands are empty today... stuff that just doesnt happen has happened... I just cannot write words to match what is going on right now. All TV stations are onthe news, Wall Street has shut down. Its night fall, nearly 11 hours or so after it has happened and I dont think I've ever experienced anything like this."




5 comments:

Pat said...

My thoughts, my feelings, exactly.

And yet. Life goes on, even still today. People all over the world loving, laughing, communicating, trusting, accepting, uniting, interacting. Mostly loving and trusting.

Perhaps the best revenge?

AngelConradie said...

wow... thats quite an entry!

Anonymous said...

Angel, given that I was only 21, it definately was!

Margarita Mirasol said...

Didn't effect me one little bit. The US got what was coming to it. I cried more when that panda in Peking zoo died.

My friend was crying though. I had satellite tv and folks came round to watch it happening. All the time I was thinking, 'Worrabout all the death and destruction the US has wrought on others over the years'.
Na, no crocodile tears came from me.

Margarita Mirasol said...

I am such a bitch.
:)))))0000000
Sorry.