Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Am I Training For An Ironman/Ironwoman?


One of my regular readers has asked this question so I will take the time to set out what is going on.

Am I Training For an Ironman Race?
Yes. Sort of. Kinda. No, not really. An Ironman is a far greater endurance event than I could possibly survive... at this stage. An Ironman usually involves running 50km, riding 70km and swimming 10km. This would kill me, not make me stronger!

Rather, my ultimate goal over the next three months is to work towards the "BRW Triathlon", which is to take place on 5 April 2009. Triathlons, at least at entry level, are only generally 4km runs, 10km rides and 500m swims. However, they are still quite hard, because with these short distances. Very fit people sprint through these Triathlons very quickly.

What Are All The Other Events For?
I am currently scheduled to do the following upcoming events:

1. Kathmandu Adventure Series - this is expected to involve two people doing the following - a 2km trail run, 10km MTB, 1km kayak, 5km MTB, 5km trail run, 7km MTB, finishing with a 2km kayak - January 17th, Blue Mountains.

2. Gear Up Girl - this is a new addition to the plans as of today. It is a 60km ride from Cronulla to Olympic Park in Homebush. Its time to get the beautiful Kuota out into a pack - March 7th, Sydney, NSW.

3. Great Ocean Road Otway Classic - this is the biggie. I fly down with my bike to Torquay, where i will be at the starting line with thousands of others to compete in this Classic. 150 gruelling kms, approximately 5.5 hours in the saddle - March 29th, Torquay, VIC.

4. BRW Triathlon - this is the star attraction but will be conditional upon whether i can convince two other people from work to enter with me and whether or not there are any spaces left. If i cannot compete in this, I will find an alternative event - April 5, 2009.

Why Am I Doing This
?
My first response is "why not?" But that wont satisfy those who are eternally curious!

Firstly, I have been spending a significant amount of time with a Life Coach. I have identified things in my life which i have always wanted to achieve but never believed I could, due to certain hard wiring. I dont want to "win", I want to "achieve". There is a stark difference.

Secondly, all of my life I have struggled to find draw the necessary connection between what I am mentally capable of and what I am physically capable of in order to reach my true potential athletically. I am learning that the two feed off each other. The pain experienced in our bodies is not due to failure on our part to be able to do something. Rather, its our body telling us that it needs to continue to be moulded. My body has wanted to be conditioned for many years. I simply haven't drawn the connection between mentally wanting it and physically gaining it in order to be disciplined about it.

Importantly, I have taken a look at the kind of person I want to be. I have also looked at the kind of people who i would like to surround myself with. I have always been anti drugs, and relatively anti-drunks. Why would I not want to participate in activities which expose me to these kinds of people? I am certainly not going to meet athletic types (and perhaps Mr. Right) at 2am in a stuffy smoky bar, am I?

I have some huge challenges ahead of me in the coming months.

But this is a girl who travelled across Europe at 20 on her own. This is a girl who put herself through law school. This is a girl who picked up and moved alone to Scotland one day.

Why would I not be capable of doing this?



2 comments:

Melissa C Morris said...

it sounds like a wonderful plan -- good luck!

Pat said...

Ahhh - now THAT explains it! Thank you! But I know you well enough to know you weren't pursuing all of this for frivolous and superficial reasons. You've never been one to merely experience life, Kate. You LIVE life. Fully and to the utmost. Always have and always will.

I think my new nickname for you will be Liver! (Wink!)

LOL ... wv is "carnate"